Resources for Faculty

Main Contact:  Jeffrey Lau/x4-3601

UC Faculty Handbook

UCSD General Campus Faculty Resources

Academic Review Process

Faculty are reviewed for advancement every 2 - 3 years depending on their rank and step.  The review consists of an assessment of academic achievement during the review period by other faculty within the department and,  depending on the action, other faculty on campus, in the areas of:

  • Research and Creative Activity
  • Teaching
  • Professional Competence and (Clinical) Activity
  • University and Public Service

Eligible faculty will be contacted a year in advance of the effective date to begin preparing materials for their file.  The Department uses Interfolio, an online collection and routing system.


From discounts on entertainment to cell phone plans, learn about the variety of benefits available to you as a UCSD employee.

Outside of Open Enrollment in November, certain life events, such as marriage or an addition to family, allow you to make changes to your benefits.  To make changes to your benefits, complete and return a benefits enrollment form to Jeffrey Lau.  Please note that changes must be requested within 31 days of the event.  Elections can be cancelled at any time.

Conflict of Commitment (APM 25)

Faculty must disclose all external professional activities they engage in on an annual basis.  Those that may pose as a potential conflict of commitment must be approved in advance.  Reporting of outside activities and requests for approval should be completed through the Outside Activity Tracking System


Course Resources

Funding Resources

UC San Diego Funding Resources

Policy on Social Sciences Divisional Special Initiatives Fund
Policy on Social Sciences Divisional Research Grants
Academic Senate Grant Funding Programs

  • Research Funds
  • Travel Funds

Office of Research Affairs Funding Opportunities
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion ( Funding Opportunities) 

External Funding

Suggested resources compiled by campus.  Contains mostly a collection of list servs and searchable databases to find external funding.

Submitting a grant? Contact Christina Knerr Frink to get started. For planning purposes, keep in mind that the the final proposal package is due 4 business days prior to the sponsor's published deadline.

Faculty Meeting & Colloquia Schedule

This information is located in the Linguistics Faculty Team Drive.


The hiring process varies depending on whom you wish to employ.  Please contact Jeffrey Lau and/or Lucie Wiseman for assistance.  Types of positions include:

  • Visiting Scholars
  • Volunteers
  • Interns
  • Interpreters
  • Research or administrative staff
  • Lecturers
  • Student undergraduate researchers

Important note:  All requests to hire must be pre-approved by the Business Office.  Perspective employees are not permitted to work without prior authorization. 

For academic student hiring for the Language Program, please contact Rachel Pekras.

Letters of Recommendation

All faculty writing letters of recommendation must have the student complete the Letter of Recommendation Release Form since these letters often contain information that is protected by FERPA.



Payday falls on the first working day of the following month (e.g., July earnings are paid on August 1), unless it falls on a weekend or holiday, in which case, payday will be the last working day of the month.  The only exception: December earnings are always paid on Jan. 1. Annual earnings for tax purposes run from December - November.

Pay versus Service

Description of pay structure for academics.   


Service Dates
(Quarter begin and end dates)

Pay Dates
(working < 2 quarters)

Pay Dates
(working entire academic year)


9/24 – 12/15

10/1 - 12/31

7/1 – 10/31


1/2 – 3/15

1/1 - 3/31

11/1 – 2/28


3/27 – 6/14

4/1 - 6/30

3/1 – 6/30


Earning Statement through (At Your Service)

    1. Instructions on how to access
    2. How to read Statement of Earnings

Sabbatical / Leaves of Absence

Policy References:

Faculty are expected to be in residence during the academic year, including periods between quarters. Faculty are considered to be on a leave of absence (LOA) any time they are on leave from normal duties during the academic year.


Please notify the chair regarding any unexpected or anticipated absences.  Absences longer than ten (10) service days during the academic year must be approved in advanced and a formal request must be submitted via an Academic Leave of Absence Form (ALAS).  Requests should be submitted at least a month prior to leave.


A sabbatical leave is an earned benefit enabling an eligible facutly member to engage in intensive programs of research and/or study for the purpose of becoming more effective teachers and scholars, thereby, enhancing their service to the University.

Faculty who have accumulated sufficient sabbatical leave credits may request sabbatical leave by completing an ALAS form accompanied by a description of what they’ll be doing during their leave.  For course planning purposes, sabbatical requests should be submitted at least one quarter in advance. 

Sabbatical Credit Accrual

Sabbatical credits are accrued at the rate of one credit for each full quarter of service at 50% time or more. Academic-year appointees can earn up to three credits in one year. Credits are not accrued during sabbatical leave, leave without pay and leave with pay for more than one quarter.

Sabbatical Leave Credit Usage

Type of Leave 1 Quarter 2 Quarters 3 Quarters
Sabbatical at full salary 9 18 27
Sabbatical in Residence 6 12 18
Sabbatical at 67% salary 6 12 18
Sabbatical at 50% salary 5 9 14
Sabbatical at 33% salary 3 6 9




MyFunds is a system that allows faculty to access online budget reports for faculty controlled funds. There is an online tutorial for information about how to read these reports and drilldown to find expenditure details.

If a fund is missing from your MyFunds report, please contact Lucie Wiseman for assistance.

Staff Directory (by Function)


All business related travel, including conferences, should be preapproved by the Business Office. 

  1. Please submit your request via
  2. Upon approval, you will be issued a trip event.  With this number, you will be able to make travel arrangements through Connexus, UC's travel program.*

Become familiar with basic guidelines of University travel:

  • Meal and Incidental Expenses (M&IE) rate = $62 max per day.  Meal logs are acceptable in lieu of receipts.  (Note:  Alcohol is not reimbursable on state and federal funds, including start up.)
  • Max lodging rate = $275 (receipts required)
  • Mileage reimbursement = $0.545 per mile
  • Per diem only for International travel

*The preferred method to arrange travel is to book through Connexus, UC's travel program. If you choose to purchase your travel on your own, be sure to register your trip to ensure you’re covered by UC’s Business Travel Insurance.  This applies to any travel beyond 100 miles not arranged through UC’s Connexus. (Travel booked through Connexus is automatically covered.)   Important: Although Southwest Air for Connexxus (SWABIZ) is part of the Connexxus program, reservations will not automatically be registered, so therefore you must register your trip.

Remember, international travel and any travel that occurs during service periods must be approved in advance through the appropriate channels.  If in doubt, please check with Jeffrey.


What expenses can I claim for a local conference?:

A UCSD employee attending a conference in the San Diego area is NOT on travel status.

The employee:

  • May request reimbursement for conference registration fees, mileage, and parking costs (retain itemized receipts)
  • May NOT claim subsistence expenses, such as lodging, meals, and incidental expenses.

How do I pay for pre-conference expenses such as registration and hotel deposit?

If you have to pre-register for a conference or hotel stay more than 21 days in advance of your travel, you have a few options for payment.

1.    You can pay on a personal card (you will not be reimbursed until after the trip)

2.    You can request UCSD submit a check on your behalf. Please notify your fund manager one month before the check is due.

3.    You can put the registration or hotel deposit on your travel card. Please notify your fund manager if you do this so late fees are not incurred.

Can I pay for a visitor’s travel expenses to UCSD?

Per University policy, you are NOT allowed to personally pay for a visitor’s UC funded travel expenses; this is not reimbursable.  When you are funding a visitor’s travel expenses on a grant, start-up, or other fund source, please follow policy by requesting that airfare be booked through Connexxus.  For inbound travelers, UCSD  Travel and Connexxus now offers the ability to book local hotels and bill to UCSD, thus avoiding out-of-pocket expenses for the traveler. The traveler can, of course, opt to pay for their own travel expenses  and then be reimbursed following the trip completion.

Purchasing Guidelines

Marketplace Orders

Marketplace, UCSD's one-stop shopping site, is the preferred method of managing your buy-to-pay needs: . The University has agreements with a wide selection of non-UCSD vendors.

Please see your MSO to obtain Marketplace access.

If Marketplace doesn't offer the product or service you're looking for, use one of the following methods:

On-campus Retailers

Use the recharge process to buy items from on-campus retailers. Because of the low cost per transaction, recharge is the preferred method for purchasing from UCSD departments. Recharge allows for:

  • Simple purchasing using an index number
  • Automatic posting charges to the ledger
  • Quick delivery and easy returns

See a complete list of departments that offer goods and services through recharge.

Express Card

The Express Card can be used like a credit card at both online and brick-and-mortar vendors to purchase and pay for routine, low-cost products and services from suppliers that are not part of Marketplace. The Express Card has a limit of $4,999 and charges post directly to your index.

The Express Card website ( contains information about how to obtain an Express Card (brief online training is required), Express Card restrictions, and cardholder responsibilities. As with all purchases that are made with University funds, receipts, packing slips and a detailed description of the UCSD business purpose of the purchase must be turned in to your department business office as soon as possible.

UCSD Bookstore

Bookstore purchases should be charged directly to an index number. 

Purchase Order

Contact your business office for information about placing a Purchase Order with a specific vendor for products not available via campus recharge. Common examples are furniture, high-value equipment, and consultant costs

Human Subject Payments

Cash for Human Subject Payments is obtained via MyPayments. Please contact your business office for information required for a request.

Telecom Charges/Calling Charges

Domestic long-distance calls are covered by the university's data and voice network, NGN (Next Generation Network). Please see your business office for an authorization code to charge international calls to your index.

Computer Purchases

It is against campus policy to purchase a computer with a personal credit card and then seek reimbursement.  All computer hardware must be purchased in one of the following ways:

  • By Recharge at the Bookstore - provide index
  • By Express Card - The cost must be less than $4,9999, including tax, shipping and handling.  You provide the index.
  • Departmental purchase order - The cost is more than $4,9999.  Contact your DSA for processing the order. You will need to provide a written quote for the system that you want to buy.


The preferred method of purchasing is through one of the methods cited above. In the event you purchase something with personal funds, please submit the itemized receipt and a detailed description of the UCSD business purpose of the purchase

Mandatory Trainings


The department stocks commonly used office supplies in the AP&M 4th floor mailroom.  The supplies are available to all departmental personnel.  Please contact Lucie Wiseman (AP&M 4016) to order supplies that aren't regularly stocked or need replacement.

Voting Rights

It is departmental practice for faculty to vote on all merit and appointment files. To see eligibility and department guidelines, refer to the department’s voting rights document.  For university guidelines, see PPM 230-28 VIII.